Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Week 1: Invitation Day 4

As we begin to enter into this new life, we naturally and supernaturally become more loving, joyful, peaceful, patient, kind, good, faithful, gentle, and self-controlled (Galatians 5:22-26). Slowly, how we live and respond to others in our lives begins to change. This outward manifestation is a result of the indwelling presence of God as the Holy Spirit. This process is more attractive and redemptive to those around us.

Scripture:
• Spend some time slowly reading and meditating on Galatians 5:22-26.

Reflection:
• Make a list of all the “Fruits of the Spirit”. What sort of picture of yourself comes to mind as you imagine yourself expressing these characteristics?
• If this new life is a result of God’s indwelling Spirit, not your own effort to outwardly exhibit these characteristics, how might you make a home or space for the Holy Spirit to begin manifesting himself more in your life?

Practice:
• Slowly meditate on Psalm 40:1-10. Take special note of what are God’s actions and what are our responsibilities? Take at least 10 minutes and try and wait on God. Find a quiet place of solitude and just sit with God asking for a strong awareness of His indwelling presence in your life. Then just pay attention.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm not sure how to make a home or space for the Holy Spirit to begin manifesting himself more in my life...? any ideas?

Deborah said...

So I know I'm a little late on this, but I lost my booklet and just recently found out I can do this online. I think it's just time more than anything, all those disciplines we hear of are just different ways to make space. How can your mind be transformed by God's word if there is no way for it to get into your mind? (i.e. reading, group study, books on tape, devotionals, memorization). How can God influence our passions and desires if we never spend anytime thinking about what His passions and desires are? How can he do anything in us if we don't sit with Him or at least acknowledge his presence with us as we go about our day? I don't think there is one way. We all function differently and so I think that the way that we make space will be different as well. I think it just comes down to intentionally inviting God into our lives.

Jason said...

Experiment. While doing the booklet you may find some practices that you are more drawn to than others. Simply by making yourself available is a great start.