Monday, April 21, 2008

Week 4: Listening - Day 17 - Tuesday

Guard your steps when you go to the house of God. Go near to listen rather than to offer the sacrifice of fools, who do not know that they do wrong. Do not be quick with your mouth, do not be hasty in your heart to utter anything before God. God is in heaven and you are on earth, so let your words be few. As a dream comes when there are many cares, so the speech of a fool when there are many words.
Ecclesiastes 5: 1-3


In our normal consciousness, whenever we approach God, even informal prayer and in our churches, it is with very measured expectations. The God who is met in the measured expectations of our own desires and imagination dies in his own impotence and irrelevance. (Ronald Rolheiser)
Coming to the conclusion that God is worth going to just because he is God is valuable. We need to learn to just be in His presence with no agenda. This goes against our efficient, productive, performance, and accomplishment-driven world. To contemplate God and not just seek an experience of God allows us to enter a moment with a heart alive to whatever might happen.

Scripture
• Read and meditate on 2 Corinthians 4:18 and Acts 17:27-28.

Reflection:
• How do you contemplate your spiritual journey and relationship with God?

Practice:
• Contemplate Jesus. Intentionally place yourself in the presence of God. Express to God your intention to just rest in His love. Ask God to reveal to you what He thinks about you. Try to imagine yourself resting in Jesus’ arms, at His feet, or kneeling before Him as others have in the Gospels. As distractions interrupt, gently return to Jesus.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Coming to Jesus always strips away the crutches I use to shore up my heart and get through each day. He is so willing to love me truly that I can release my pain and cry on his shoulder. It's so comforting, I wish I would remember to do it more often, intentionally come to Jesus, hear his soothing peace. I know I'm supposed to come to listen, but perhaps the pain must be dealt with first to a certain degree.