Listening for the soul is not a quick fix or a limited intervention. Nor is it haphazard. Cultivating the soul essentially requires attending, in deliberate, habitual, and sustaining ways, to every aspect of our lives and all levels on which we live life, both consciously and unconsciously. To listen is to wait with a posture of alertness, in anticipation of hearing something of the voice and presence of God, who longs for us to be whole and abundantly alive. But we do not listen in order to make God present. We open our ears as a way of responding to the presence of God, who is already and always present in our lives, with or without recognition. –Jean Staris. Listening for the Soul
Listening is not a practice about simply taking orders. Listening has something to do with being willing to change ourselves and change our world. Listening is a discipline of the highest order that should always lead to conversion.
Scripture:
• Read and meditate on Ecclesiastes 5: 1-3.
Reflection:
• How do you avoid or resist silence? Do you think God values time with you in silence? Explain.
Practice:
• If silence is new for you, begin with ten minutes. Setting a timer can help you not be distracted by a clock or time. Intentionally place yourself in the presence of God and become quiet. You may want to start with a small verse or simply saying, “I am here.” As you become quiet, listen to all the noise around you and slowly let it go. Let the quiet deepen and just be with God. After this time reflect on your experience. Try this throughout the day. Often the benefits of silence are not experienced in the midst of the silence but with fruit that bears itself throughout the day.
Sunday, April 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I am drawn to the spiritual discipline of silence, only because I am so bad at welcoming it in my day to day life. I am definitely a busy-body, and even when I watch TV I like to be busy doing something with my hands. When I work, I feel uneasy if the TV or radio isn't on. I'm not sure why silence & stillness is so difficult for me, but I am convinced that practicing this will help me learn to listen to God. I realized after Sunday's sermon that I am terrible at making space to listen to what the Lord has to tell me; I'm often filling my prayers with all my own words, and never allowing him to answer. How do I expect to receive an answer if I don't listen? I feel foolish for getting so frustrated in waiting for answers!
Post a Comment