Even before God created the world, He decided that you would exist. It is God’s desire that you would not only exist, but also have a life, an abundant life that is complete and without blemish. This is possible because of dependence on the love given to you through Jesus. God chose you and continues to choose you.
Scripture:
· Spend some time slowly reading and meditating on Ephesians 1:4. (You may even want to memorize this passage, reciting it over and over throughout your day allowing the words to become a reality in your life).
Reflection:
· What do you feel when you hear that God has chosen you?
Practice:
Slowly meditate on Psalm 139. What does this Psalm say about what God thinks of you? Make this request: “Search me O God.” Ask God what needs to change in your heart for you to become the person He has chosen you to be.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I often don't take the time to question my motivations, or give God the opportunity to look inside my heart and listen. The amazing thing is that when I do open my heart to God, I don't feel guilt or shame but a continued invitation to journey deeper. To learn from him and be led into an new way of living. My prayer is that as all of us enter deeper and deeper into this life with God, that we may all experience the grace and love from a father who chose us. That love is what compels me and I pray it compels and beckons you.
Does the opening of this psalm scare anybody like it does me? There are details of my thoughts that I don't reveal to even my closest friend - I sometimes am scared even to admit them to myself. To realize and remember that God already knows is a little scary, no?
What do you think it means to be "fearfully" made? I don't think anybody's confused over the "wonderfully" made part - but what about the other part of that statement?
What a beautiful and reassuring closing to the psalm, though, despite all the wrestling going on throughout. "Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting."
What a sense of hope! After all the fear, and awe, and mental wrestling, we are still welcome to bring our shortcomings before God. I often forget that I am human - it feels like I should be perfectly formed by this point in time. I forget that there is my flesh nature fighting against my desire to pursue Christ. What a helpful reminder that I am welcome to bring even my anxious thoughts before God and ask him to continue to change me, and "lead me in the way everlasting."
I love how it says in ephesians that we were 'chosen before the creation of the world, to be holy and blameless.' Blameless... even though i screw up all the time? If that isn't true love, then i don't know what is.
I have issues with the idea that God has chosen me... This is something i know in my head, but my heart doubts this and asks why? Most of the time i feel so small... seems unfathomable that the CREATOR chose me and knew me before the creation of the world.
The Psalm is great... leaves me feeling quite vulnerable, but at the same time, so peaceful, because I have nothing to hide that he doesn't know about already. 'Search me and know my anxious thoughts... see if there be any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.'
Post a Comment